Monday, January 18, 2010

Black and White Cabbage Soup

After all the crazy new year eating-lots of binging on not-so-good-for-you stuff I thought it might be time for something a little more healthful-apparently every other food blogger out there thought so too, because recipes are abounding. I started with several recipes for cabbage soups from all around the web, but my base starting point was Heidi's Rustic Cabbage Soup from 101cookbooks. (yes, I know it's like one of the most recognized food blogs, I'm just not sure what the etiquette here is). I wasn't sure about cabbage in soup; in general I hate wilty things in my soups and I despise escarole or the other candidates for greens. Cabbage ended up working out, it gets soft and almost noodle like without being too strong. It may also help that I diced it pretty thin and used a napa style that was very firm to start with. Anyhow, it was pretty and tasty, although I do suggest a bouquet garni for the peppercorns, biting down on them was an unwelcome surprise. The photo also contains far too much cheese for a single bowl which I found out after I took the shot.























Black and White Cabbage Soup

1/4 napa syle white cabbage diced
      very thinly
2c black beans, precooked, drained
     and rinsed well
4 small gold potatoes, diced
1onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3T olive oil
4c chicken stock
2t mixed peppercorns
1/2 c grated parmasean cheese
Add olive oil to large soup pot, warm and add potatoes. Cook until just starting to stick. Add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant and starting to carmelize. Add stock, beans, and peppercorns. Simmer until potatoes are completely soft. Add cabbage and simmer for 5min more or until you find the texture of the cabbage pleasant. Ladle into bowls, top with a smattering of cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment