Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just a quick garden note-seeds are ordered!

Seeds were ordered yesterday and today...3 main companies were: Seed Savers Exchange, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and Irish Eyes. SSE is from my home state, about an hour or so from my mom's house, and I love their mission and approach-so I order from them despite the fact that it takes lots of diesel (well at least some) for it to make the trip. Southern Exposure is local-ish being in VA so they know and recommend what will do well in this area and it keeps at least some of my seed mostly local. Irish Eyes is new this year-beacause they are 1) unproven to me and 2) so gosh darn far away in Washington State I only ordered a few things from them, but they have a HUGE selection of potatoes and they are a family run, employee owned company so I like that. I didn't order any from them(yet), but some unusual seeds and varieites are available at Bountiful Gardens, another non-profit seed organization. I did break down and order Burpee zukes-the hertiage varieties are just not what I want-small, not productive, and very disease/bug susceptible. I NEED my zukes, but I thought I'd order with my mom so as to reduce some shipping.

Varieties and suppliers are as follows:

Beets
Detroit Dark Red
SESE
Beans, Green
Provider
SSE
Beans, Lima
Henderson Bush
SSE
Carrots
Early Sugarsnax F-1
Irish Eyes
Paris Market
SSE
Cucumber
Little Leaf
SESE
Garlic
various
Gourmet Garlics
Onions
Big Daddy
Irish Eyes
Okra
Burmese #69109E
SESE
Clemson Spineless #69103E
SSE
Hill Country Red #69111E
SESE
Peas, snap
Oregon Giant
SESE
Potatoes
Yukon Gold
Irish Eyes
Spinach
America
SSE
Tomato, early
Glacier
Irish Eyes
Tomato, grape
Currant, Sweet Pea
SSE
Tomato, heirloom
Crkovic Yugoslavian
SSE
Tomato, paste
Hungarian Italian Paste
SESE
Zucchini
Burpee Hybrid
burpee 62364-A
 

No comments:

Post a Comment