Sunday, January 17, 2010

An Attempt at Duck and Veggie Beef Stoup

I have come to a very important conclusion-I should not try to cook whole poultry. I'm bad at it, and it's a giant pain to cut it all up. I know that makes me lazy and a shame to my ranching heritage-oh well.  And so I will share this photo a a sort-of pretty duck that Aaron and I made after Thanksgiving. He was very helpful with the pulling out of guts and cutting off of extra bits and so on, for which I am very grateful, but I don't think we'll repeat the experience. We used all the spices we had spilled on the counter while filling our Christmas gifts of homegrown herbs to dress the little guy up too!




On a different note the fact that it's been crazy cold out has kicked in the comfort foods-and the soups. Aaron insists this isn't a soup, but I'm not sure it really qualifies as a stew either. So we'll call it stoup. In any case it's tasty, easy and pretty darn good for you.

.
Vegetable Beef Stoup
Note: This can be made entirely veggie by just leaving out the beef. It's also better after a whole day in the crock pot, but can be consumed as soon as it's done cooking as well. I prefer the petite diced tomatoes, but the regular ones are fine too. The batch in the photo is missing its limas, because I forgot I didn't have any

1whole onion, roughly diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 pound beef stew meat, 1/2in cubes

3 cans diced tomatoes
2c broccoli florets
2c cauliflower florets
6 medium potatoes, diced
1c lima beans
1c each frozen corn and peas

1/2c pearly barley

In a medium skillet heat 2T olive oil. Carmelize onions and garlic. Put into slow cooker crock. Add meat to skillet and brown thoroughly on all sides. Add to crock along with tomatoes, potatoes, lima beans, cauliflower and broccoli. Allow to cook on low all day. 1hr before serving add barley, peas, and corn. Mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment