Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fried Rice

I admit, some nights I'm lazy and don't want to cook. Other times I realize I'm missing a key ingredient (despite careful list making) and don't want to go to the store for a third time that week. So we order out. Chinese takeout has become a favorite, because you can make not super bad choices and it usually gives us about 3 meals. Meal 1: initial attempt, Meal 2: leftovers, Meal 3: fried rice from the automatically included white rice that comes with every meal and we never eat.  This is a great way to use leftover rice and (if you watch the sodium content) could be quite healthy. I always used to make it in my stainless pot and it stuck like crazy. With my x-mas gift of a beautiful Le Creuset dutch oven it didn't stick at all-amazing! Also, I apologize that the photo is lacking in eggs-I took it before I remembered to add them.

Veggie Fried Rice
Note: Another sticking issue can happen if you don't have enough liquid and/or oil when you add the rice. You can also use whatever veggies are on hand-it's flexible. Be sure to get your garlic and ginger small-it's tough if you bite into a big piece.

1/4 vegetable oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan, plus 2Tto be added later
2 eggs
1/2c chopped carrots, onions, squash, mushrooms and/or other veggies
1T finely diced ginger
1T finely diced garlic
3c cooked rice
1/2 c teriyaki sauce
2T soy sauce
1T seasame oil

Coat the pan with vegetable oil and allow to heat until shimmering. Beat eggs together and add to hot oil, making an egg pancake. Allow to cook through and remove from pan. Lower heat to medium-high and add remaining oil and veggies. Allow to cook, stirring often, until crisp tender. Add sauces and seasame oil, followed by the rice. If it has been refridgerated it will need to be crumbled to separate the grains. Chop the egg and stir into rice and veggies. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment