Friday, December 11, 2009

Putting up and putting (plants) out

So new at this blog-food thing as I am, I'm discovering there are a TON of people out there who aren't new to it. And who have cool and amazing and great ideas and projects.  And lots of participation encouraged. This led me to find Canning Across America and the Can Jam (see below). Some background: Since a couple summers ago, I've gotten interested in our food heritage. Unfortunately if I want to eat like my great-grandmother I would have to work like her and being a scientist isn't all the physically demanding, whereas farming and cooking for all the farmhands was. This also means that I don't get to cook like her or even my grandmother very often, but I am utterly convinced that eating like they did is WAY healthier than eating processed, additive laden food products. I try to eat by the rule, if I couldn't explain it to Grandma Sweat (who finished school in a one room school house in rural Kansas) I shouldn't eat it. It doesn't always work, but I'm trying to be better, in fact I fail at it a lot. Being a locavore wasn't hard for her-it was barely an option-you ate what you or the neighbor grew and/or slaughtered and it was a big treat if someone traveled somewhere tropical and brought you oranges. This doesn't mean that if she didn't eat it I wouldn't, but if she wouldn't understand what it is I try to avoid it. (Try explaining blue gogurt to someone who was born in 1901, whereas I could explain french cheese or homemade pizza which she never had access to.) So, in the interest of preserving some of what she ate and "put up", expanding my horizons and techniques, and maybe finding new favorite foods I'm going to join the Can Jam.

Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge

On a related note I got my first seed catalog of the year a few weeks ago-the garden didn't get mulched yet-it snowed-but I am already in gear for next season. In addition to the 2 dozen garlic cloves overwintering under the yellow straw, I think I may order some okra just for pickling and maybe even grow some beans (although I HATE picking them). Normal stuff will continue, but since we've been established for a year now, and the soil isn't as absolutely terrible after 2 ameliorations (3rd to come spring time) I think I will try some more NEW stuff. Stuff I didn't grow as a kid, stuff that might require *gasp* tending and nuturing, although seedlings are definitely out unless I end up buying a sun lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment