Saturday, December 19, 2009

Beer Bread

It's blizzarding, nope, not snowing, blizzarding-the fire hydrant is barely visible! So I made chili and chicken and rice soup and this AMAZING beer bread, which I adapted from a gorgeous recipe from Peabody's blog.

Most of the adjusting was due to the fact that we were unable to leave the house. We don't love beer, but had a six pack hanging out in the closet from de-slugging the garden. I was in favor of anything that got me bread without yeast or kneading and this was just perfect. It's crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, although it's likely ridiculously not good for you, but I don't care!



I may bake tomorrow in the interest of yumminess and trying to use the 5lb box of clementines I bought before we leave for the holidays. But we'll see if I can clean and bake and pack all in the same day.

Cheesy Beer Bread
Note: Adapted from  Peabody and The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather. You can just as easily use the baking powder from the original recipe instead of the soda and tartar, but mine mysteriously vanished last week.

3c. flour
3/4t baking soda
1/2 T cream of tartar
1t salt
3T granulated sugar
1c. chunked cheese (I used leftover german and african gourmet-y ones)
12oz beer
1/2 cup melter butter

Preheat oven to 375F. Sift and stir together dry ingredients. Add beer and mix just until incorporated. Pour half of the melted butter in the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan and add the batter on top. Top with the rest of the butter. Bake for about 40min or until a toothpick comes out clean. ENJOY!!

1 comment: